There is a medicine for almost every pain or problem. But sometimes, as a result of medicine errors or misuse, medicines can be harmful. It is a responsibility of a parent to guide their children and monitor their use of medicines.
It is important to be extra careful in case of ‘over-the-counter’ or OTC medicines. As these medicines are non-prescribed and are easily available, errors in dose or misuse is very common and leads to adverse health effect.
In order to prevent such conditions, it is better to learn as well as teach the children about responsible medicine use.
Always keep the following things in mind while using OTC medicines :
- Read and follow the entire drug facts label very carefully.
- Do not take more than the labeled dose.
- Never use more than one medicine with the same active ingredient at the same time. It can lead to an overdose.
- Do not take the medicine more frequently or for longer than instructed on the drug label.
- Never take medicines for reasons or symptoms other than the uses directed on the label.
- It is best to use the dosing device that comes with the medicine to make sure to take the right amount for both children and adults.
- In case of any query related to the medicine, ask heath care professionals.
- Check the expiry date of the medicines before using.
It is necessary to have a thorough knowledge about the medicine before using it. Children should be advised to take both, prescribed and OTC medicines under adult supervision only.